History of the Library

The Burton Public Library was established by the Civic Improvement Society, an organization of Burton women, in 1910.

One of the library's first homes was the Crittenden Drug Store in the East Block of the stores uptown. In 1912 the library moved to the Johnson Store building across the alley from the north end of the East Block. This building was later moved to the Geauga County Historical Society and is now known as the Crossroads Country Store. Next the library moved to the Webster Building on Kirtland Street and then to the basement of the Olds Block which was near the site of the present post office building. 

The library finally found a permanent home in 1937 when it moved to its present location which is known as the Second High School. This building was built in 1884. The Library was reorganized in 1937 as a school district library and became known as the Burton Public Library.

Ground was broken in August of 1981 to start work on the Helen K. Merritt Reading Room as well as our newly renovated library facilities.